Throughout the year, there are different varieties of chillies that are available in India. While I prefer having the smaller chillies on my dinner plate for a bit of spice; the bigger chillies are used in many different ways to add a bit of zing to the dining experience.
The Bhavnagari Chilli is one of the bigger chilli varieties that are available and is not at all spicy. In fact, children like eating it too. This recipe uses cottage cheese – which is used to stuff the chillies; and can be part of any meal.
|Preparation Time||:||10 minutes|
|Cooking Time||:||20 minutes|
|Bhavnagari Chillies (Large Green Chilllies)||12 nos.|
|Cottage Cheese||300 grams|
|Onions (finely chopped)||1 medium no.|
|Green Chillies (finely chopped)||1 no.|
|Ginger Paste||½ teaspoon|
|Garlic Paste||½ teaspoon|
|Tamarind Paste||1 tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ teaspoon|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Chaat Masala||½ teaspoon|
|Cooking Oil||5 teaspoons|
|Refined Flour||¼ cup|
|Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)||2½ tablespoons|
|1. Prepare the chilies:
· Rinse the chillies and pat dry with a kitchen towel
· Cut off the cap and make a slit to the base so that we can gently open the chilli
· Deseed and remove the fibres. Keep aside
2. Prepare the filling:
· Add ½ teaspoon of oil in a pan and heat over medium flame. Add the ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté for a minute. Add in the finely chopped onions and green chillies and fry for a minute. Add in the grated cottage cheese and cook for 3-4 minutes. Now add the tamarind paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chaat masala and 2 tablespoons of the chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Remove from the fire and keep aside to cool
· Check for salt
3. Cooking the chillies:
· Add the refined flour onto a saucer/small plate. Keep aside
· Slightly open the chillies and gently stuff with the cottage cheese mix. Trim the stuffed chilli to remove any of the excess stuffing. Gently roll the sides where the stuffing can be seen onto the refined flour. Keep aside. Repeat with the other chillies
· Heat the remaining oil over medium heat in a frying pan. When hot, fry the chillies in batches – about 2 minutes on each side; then turn them and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside. Repeat with the other chillies
4. Sprinkle over some lime juice and chopped coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
|· For the photograph, I had added small dots of the chutneys around the chillies. These make the dish look nicer.|
|· Mint Chutney
· Tamarind/Date Chutney.
|· Can substitute the cottage cheese with a mixture of only potatoes; or grated cauliflower and potatoes.|