I have always seen drumsticks being prepared as a curry or a vegetable. Never have I seen it being the main ingredient of a soup. While travelling by bus in Mumbai, I overhead a lady talking about this recipe and how she loved it when she visited her hometown in Tamil Nadu. I was very keen to prepare it. After sourcing the process of making this soup and working on the quantities, I managed to finalise on this recipe. Do share your thoughts on this yummy soup.
|Preparation Time||:||5 minutes|
|Cooking Time||:||25 minutes|
|Drumsticks (washed and cut into 5 inch pieces)||3 nos.|
|Carrots (finely chopped)||¼ cup|
|French Beans (finely chopped)||¼ cup|
|Onions (finely chopped)||¼ cup|
|Corn Flour||2 teaspoons|
|White Pepper Powder||To taste|
|1. Add water in a pot and boil the drumsticks. When boiled, remove the drumsticks and keep aside to cool. Reserve the liquid in a bowl
2. Return the pot to the fire and over medium heat add the butter and garlic. Sauté for a minute and add the onions. Stir for a minute and add the carrots and French beans. Sauté for about 3 minutes
3. Measure the drumstick stock and add water to make it a total of 1 litre. Add this stock to the pot and allow it to boil over medium heat
4. While the soup is being heated, remove the flesh and seeds from the drumstick into a bowl. Add the milk and corn flour. Mix well
5. Once the soup boils, add the drumstick-milk mix and stir for 2-3 minutes. Allow this soup to boil for 5 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper
6. Pour the soup into bowls and serve hot.
|· Select fleshy drumsticks for this soup
· To remove the drumstick flesh, I split it lengthwise in half and used the back of the knife to scrape off the flesh.