This recipe is the result of me wanting a little extra crunch in my fries. While I tried many versions to get a decent batch of crispy fries, I liked this method as it seemed less complicated. Got the inspiration from a fried chicken recipe where the chicken was dusted in a seasoned flour mix.
|Preparation Time||:||10 minutes|
|Cooking Time||:||40 minutes (plus a session of 1 hour of freezing time)|
|Vegetable Oil||For deep frying|
|Rice Flour||¼ cup|
|Corn Flour||¼ cup|
|1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 2 cms thick slices. Further cut these slices into 2 cms thick potato sticks
2. Put the potato sticks in a bowl and rinse under running water to wash the starch off
3. Place 1.5 litres of cold water in a large saucepan and add the potatoes. Boil on low heat for about 20 minutes (to cook the potato sticks)
4. Drain the potatoes. Mix together the rice flour, corn flour and semolina. Dust the potatoes with the flour mix and coat evenly
5. Heat the oil in the deep frying pan over high heat. When hot, add the potatoes in batches. Fry for about 7 minutes till golden brown. Drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt
6. Serve immediately.
|· Select big potatoes which are a minimum of 15 cms long; else, the fries will not be nice and long
· When cooking ahead; take the fries from Step 4 and place them in the refrigerator for upto 3 days.
· Mayonnaise/Tomato Ketchup.